Monday, January 24, 2011

What is One of Your Greatest Life Experiences?

One of the greatest rewards my team and I receive is the knowledge that by serving as our clients' personal chief financial officer our clients have more time to to spend with their family, focus on their business and/or profession, give back to their community or pursue other things that are important to them. It is our hope that they can then lead a fuller life as a result of our service.  Or as Horace said "“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have.”

What is one of your greatest life experiences?  I recently had one of the best life experiences I have ever had.  I hiked four days and 52.6 miles in the Grand Canyon.

On January 5th I hiked down the South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch.  The photo below is me on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon at the South Kaibab Trailhead.


On January 6th, I left Phantom Ranch and hiked part way up the North Kaibab Trail. On my way back I stopped to have lunch at Ribbon Falls.


On January 7th, I hiked part of the Clear Creek Trail from Phantom Ranch.


On January 8th, I left Phantom Ranch at 6:00 AM to begin my hike out of the Grand Canyon on the Bright Angel Trail.  Here is a photo of me at the Bright Angel Trailhead after I reached the South Rim.


A couple in their 60s stopped me as I left the Grand Canyon and asked questions about my experience.  I answered all of their questions and could not say enough good things about my four days in the Grand Canyon.  Her final comment to me as we parted was “the glow on your face says it all.”

The combination of the beauty and grandeur of the Grand Canyon plus not having access to news, television, internet, cell phone service, etc. made this one of my favorite experiences. What is one of your greatest life experiences?

I invite you to post your comments to this blog and list one or more of your greatest experiences. For some I am sure it will be a marriage or birth of a child. For others it may be an award or achievement. I would love to learn what is one of your greatest experiences and hope you will take the time to post your comments.

You can click on the following links for Album #1 and Album #2 if you want to see other photos and my comments about each photo.

And may each day of your life be lived to its fullest!

2 comments:

Karen said...

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

After reading about your amazing trip to the Grand Canyon I’ve been reviewing the trips I’ve taken and the ones I’m still planning for the future. But at this stage in my life, one of my greatest life experiences is the every-day journey I take parenting a child with special needs. It’s certainly not the road I planned to travel and the detours have been simultaneously frightening and exhilarating; sometimes daunting but always inspiring. Plan as I may, my daughter inevitably presents an alternative route that leads us to an unexpected place better than what I could have envisioned. What I find most satisfying about this journey is the number of people who travel with us and whose lives have been positively impacted by the trip. Our eyes have been opened to a different view of the world – and for that we have a very special tour guide to thank. It may not be the voyage you signed up for, but if you’ve been there, you know what I’m talking about.

Canadoc said...

Gordon, you had a wonderful trip! I have never been to the canyon but it is present in my life, from the movie Grand Canyon, which is really about city life and how such beauties of nature are a refuge for us, to the stories of the Creationists who sponsor tours to the Canyons depths, telling falsehoods about the powerful evidence of evolution printed on its walls. But, if some find peace in those beliefs, more power to them. From PeterLCampbell